Brandable vs. Keyword Domains: .CLUB CMO Jeff Sass at NamesCon Europe 2018

At the NamesCon Europe conference (formerly Domaining Europe) in Valencia, Spain, I had the chance to give a keynote presentation focusing on the differences between so-called “brandable” domains, and more SEO friendly “keyword” domains. I stressed that in the current environment, with so many new domain extensions, many with inherent meaning and relevance, it does not make good sense for a startup to “make shit up” just to get an available domain name.

To help make the point I played host to a short “game show” where the audience members were challenged to match startup domain names with the business of the startup. With misspelled and made-up words as domains, this was no small task, and in that regard, the game did not produce any clear winners. It’s a fun exercise to help demonstrate the benefits of a domain name that leverages keywords on one or both sides of the dot.

In addition to domain name “match game,” I introduce the benefits of our premium name marketplace, Names.club, where great keyword domains with many extensions (.CLUB, .Shop, .Work, .Miami, .Boston, .Fitness, .Yoga and more) are available with 60-month no-interest Easy Payments, to help make such memorable and meaningful premium domains more accessible to startups and entrepreneurs. Names.club also offers a generous broker/affiliate program which presents customer discounts and a healthy commission payout. You can learn more and apply to be a broker or affiliate at www.NamesBroker.club.

Finally, I talk about our motivation for all we do at .CLUB, which really boils down to the fact that “we love startups!” With that in mind, my presentation concludes with a sneak preview of the upcoming incubator, co-working space, and TV docu-series, all branded “Startups.club.”

I hope you enjoy watching the video of my keynote embedded above and welcome your thoughts and feedback in the comments below.

About the Author

Jeff Sass

Jeff Sass is .CLUB's Chief Marketing Officer. You can follow him on Twitter at @Sass.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.